*Disclaimer: All products in this post were sent to me by Hebeloft for review. All opinions are my own.
If you’ve been reading my blog, you will know that I’m currently obsessed with the Korean indie brand Skylake. It’s a great skincare brand that uses a proprietary blend of 18 hanbang (herbal) ingredients to soothe, hydrate and strengthen the skin. As a huge fan of Skylake’s herbal mists, sheet masks, and moisturiser, I was really excited to try out their haircare.
My hair condition:
I have really fine hair, but a lot of it. I have a scalp that’s just as easily irritated as the rest of my skin by heat, certain chemicals, and products. What I look for in a hair product is something that will keep my scalp healthy, and add volume to my hair.
Because I use heated tools on my hair almost everyday, I need haircare that is focused on preserving the strength of my hair too.
Why I love Korean haircare in general:
Korean haircare, apart from being hanbang heaven, works to preserve the health of your scalp, and is less focused on your hair strands. This makes sense to me because your hair strands are essentially already dead, so your scalp (part of your skin) is the most important area in haircare.
GLOW tip: When your scalp is healthy, your hair follicles will be healthy, and this then leads to healthy, shiny, happy hair, as well as extra hair growth.
So, if these are your hair goals (and why shouldn’t they be?), do look out for haircare products that are focused on scalp care first.
Skylake haircare range review (GO4GLOW readers discount below!):
In a nutshell, I LOVE THIS RANGE. The products smell like absolute herb-y hanbang heaven, they feel very refreshing on the scalp, plus something insane happened. Since using the Skylake hair tonic, my hair has grown a ridiculous amount in a month.
Some of Skylake’s notable herbal extracts include Peppermint leaf, Korean Angelica, Licorice root, Clover flower, White Mulberry, Marsh Parsley root, and many others that work to condition, re-balance, soothe, and hydrate your skin/ scalp.
As you can see from the pictures below, my hair has grown a full 2 inches in a month, is much thicker and more voluminous, and much shinier and stronger too. I’ve found that my ponytail bald spot has filled in (so much so that I can’t locate the bald spot any more), and my hair is dropping way less when I’m heat styling.
Now let’s break it down into the 3 haircare products I used from Skylake.
Skylake Premium Oriental Herb Cool Shampoo
- Product description: With a patented herbal formulation, Skylake Premium Oriental Herb Cool Shampoo contains polygonum multiflorum (hé shǒu wū), peppermint and other skin-loving oriental herbal extracts. It effectively stimulates hair growth, prevents hair breakage and thinning. It helps to promote healthy scalp and hair by stopping and reducing hair fall.
- Product performance: I loved this with the first pump of the bottle. It comes out a gorgeous reddish honey colour, and it smells herb-y and fresh. It is very cooling and soothing on the scalp, and really eliminates oil, itch, and irritation.It’s lovely to use on it’s own, but I enjoyed using it with the conditioner too. The shampoo gives your hair a squeaky clean rinse (the kind that’s typical of haircare that isn’t padded with filler ingredients such as silicones and sulphates).
- GO4GLOW Rating: 4/5. I will continue using this with joy. When out, I will repurchase.
Skylake Silk Chaeun Conditioner
- Product description: Skylake Silk Chaeun Conditioner contains extracts of natural silk cocoon, wilfordi root and other skin-loving oriental herbs. It helps to calm and soothe sensitive scalp, detangle unruly hair, and restore moisture and shine to your hair, making it smooth as silk.
Product performance: I don’t mind a squeaky clean rinse from a shampoo, and I certainly don’t want to weigh my hair down with a conditioner that’s too heavy, but this conditioner makes my hair smooth and shiny, without weighing it down or causing my scalp to produce extra oil throughout the day.I used this conditioner with other Asian brand shampoos too (such as my beloved Ryo and PHS Haircare products), and it worked very well.
The conditioner’s fragrance is not as hanbang as the shampoo’s — it’s more floral, but also lighted scented, and refreshing. Also, because you only need a teeny tiny squeeze of conditioner (this goes a long way) each time, this bottle will last ages.
- GO4GLOW Rating: 4/5 (same as shampoo above).
Skylake Herb Hair Tonic
- Product description: Skylake Herb Hair Tonic heals and soothes your scalp with extracts of oriental herbs and green tea. It nourishes your scalp, strengthens the hair follicles, inhibits dandruff formation and caters to hair growth. It thickens and strengthens weak and damaged hair, and stimulates hair growth with the patented herbal formulation.
- Product performance: Yup, this hair tonic is what was responsible for my insane hair growth over the last month. I know this because I was travelling for a week in July, and didn’t faithfully use the shampoo/ conditioner, but I did keep this hair tonic with me the entire time.To use this, just spray 1-3 times on your scalp after washing and towel drying, before you put on any hair styling products. Then simply massage in gently with your fingers. It has a very slight cooling/ tingly effect when sprayed on.
- Glow tip: Because 1-3 times isn’t enough for your entire scalp, I alternate the spots I spray on each time, concentrating on that ponytail bald spot of mine.
- Recommended for: People with the same hair concerns as me (see above), people who are concerned about balding or losing hair. This is a great preventative as well as cure product (as envisaged by it preventing more hair loss, and also curing my bald spot).
- Rating: 4.8/5. Not only will I use this with glee and repurchase with joy, I’ve been fiendishly recommending this to my friends who are concerned with hair loss. This is a great tonic to buy if you’re concerned with putting too much chemicals on your body too, because this tonic has a largely natural and clean ingredients list.
Where to buy Skylake: Find them on Hebeloft with a price range of $32 – $45. GO4GLOW readers, enjoy 30% off at Hebeloft with the code ‘GO4GLOW30’ too!
I hope you guys enjoyed my first haircare post! Would you like reading more about how to keep your hair glowing, shiny, and beautiful? Hit me up in the comments below.
Until then, glow big or go home! Love,