Before Going Home: Tax Refund Information
Tax refund for cosmetic surgery
Filing for tax refund is a common procedure when shopping in Korea as a tourist. Similarly, receiving cosmetic procedures in Korea also allows you to get tax refund. This is known as the “Cosmetic Surgery V.A.T Refund” which gives you a 10% refund on your medical expenses.
Requirements in order to be applicable for tax refund
- Personal status
- No address and not residing in Korea
- Undergone cosmetic surgery
- Medical Institution
- The medical institution must be registered and approved by the Ministry of Health and Welfare in accordance with an Act for Attraction of International Patients.
- Type of procedure
- Double Eye-lid, Rhinoplasty, Breast Surgery(reduction/augmentation), Liposuction, Face Lift, Facial bone contouring, Teeth Whitening, Laminate, Gingivoplasty, Orthognathic surgery
- Nevus pigmentosus, Freckles, Lentigo, Chloasma, Pimple, Hair removal, Hair loss, Hair transplantation, Tattoo, Tattoo removal, Piercing, Lipolysis, Skin regeneration, Skin Whitening, Anti-aging, Pore tightening
- Departure date
- Individuals must depart from Korea within 3 months of their cosmetic surgery procedure
Tax refund procedure
Firstly, you would have to obtain the Certificate of selling medical service for overseas patient from your clinic. Medical institutions that are registered and approved will produce the certificate after your beauty service is complete.
You will then have to submit the certificate at the airport refund point. After your departure has been verified, you will be able to receive your refund. However, if you are not going to an airport with a refund point, do ask your medical institution about the nearest refund point.
However, if any problems arise during the tax refund process, do contact the Medical Korea Information Centre to seek clarifications. They are able to provide comprehensive assistance to foreign patients visiting Korea for medical and aesthetic services. Contact Medical Korea Information Centre at +82-1577-7129 for more information on any issues regarding Cosmetic Surgery V.A.T Refund.
Find out more information and must-knows about travelling to Korea for plastic surgery and related beauty services here.